Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wasted Day?

Yesterday was what I consider a long, perhaps wasted, day. 
We went to 6:30 a.m. morning Mass, and participated in the fellowship afterwards.   We usually take breakfast on Wednesday.   I assisted with the finances at church until 9:00.  Then, I took my husband to the doctor.  Afterwards, we went to eat and then, to the grocery store.  We arrived home at 1:30 p.m.  I rested for an hour, then, went to pick up our grandson from school.  As you all know, children arrive starving from school.  So I fixed him some nachos.  I tried to tidy up a bit around the house, and then, my granddaughter, who was celebrating her birthday, her sister and mother stopped by since I had a cake for her.  By the time we finished and they left, it was time to get ourselves ready for bed.  Wow!  What a day, almost nonstop!
As I was lying in bed, contemplating that I had accomplished nothing, the Holy Spirit prompted me to rethink my day!
1.      What a wonderful opportunity that my husband and I have to start our mornings with Our Lord, Jesus, in the Holy Eucharist.  We, the body of Christ, after having received our spiritual food, continue with His graces, when we meet in fellowship and partake of earthly food.  We enjoy ourselves talking and laughing with our friends.
2.     Then, it was time to help in the church’s office with the finances.  Is this considered a spiritual ministry?  Perhaps in a way, it is since we are helping our priest with some of the work that he must deal with.
3.     It was now time to take my husband to the doctor.  What a chore I have thought this is, but as I thought more about it, I realized that I was performing an act of mercy:  taking care of the sick.  Amen, Jesus!
4.     Having had breakfast before 7:30 a.m., we were now hungry!   My husband had wanted ‘carne guisada’ for some time, but I never like it when I make it, so I decided to treat him.  Therefore, we went to a restaurant to eat.  This was quite enjoyable!
5.     For those of you that live in my area, you know how hectic it is to go shopping in our neighborhood grocery store.   Well, as always, we immediately met an old acquaintance.  I spoke briefly with them and left my husband chatting away.  I had to get a birthday cake and ice cream for my oldest granddaughter.  Finishing, we finally made it home.
6.     Rested for awhile and then went to pick up our grandson from school since he was having a sleepover.  He requested his favorite for a snack:  bean/cheese nachos!  This is LOVE!
7.     I tried to tidy up a bit since I had been on the go all day.  Hey, what is that saying:  Cleanliness is next to Godliness!
8.     It was finally time for the birthday girl to arrive.  My two granddaughters, my daughter-in-law, my grandson and we were ready to have our “mini-party.”  Again, if this is not LOVE, what is?
I thank you, Lord, for a wonderful day.  It was full of loving and caring.
Now, I ask you to rethink about your horrible days.  Are they truly bad?  Think of all the good that you have done or have been done to you.  May the Holy Spirit awaken in you the good that you have.   AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment